Deadline: November 17, 2022
Applications are open for the UN FAO Global AgriInno Challenge 2022. Global AgriInno Challenge, a global competition for young agripreneurs and innovators, showcases and promotes innovative smart digital talent.
With the last two sessions successfully held in 2020 and 2021, the Global AgriInno Challenge 2022 will continue to provide startups with a lively platform to exchange experiences, enhance knowledge and provide the opportunity to join the huge cooperation network in the whole world.
Are you eager to solve the challenges and difficulties in the field of digital agriculture? Are you ready to present your innovative ideas to the world? Are you keen to connect with a diverse mentorship supported by UN agencies, government, leading angel investors and academic experts? Take your chance and submit your team’s application!
With the theme “Addressing the challenges of transforming agri-food systems in line with FAO’s four best”, 6 teams will be selected and invited to the final pitch event in Hangzhou, China on November 30, 2022, all costs related being covered. Winning teams will be rewarded with seed funding.
Teams selected to participate in the Innovation For Good and Pitch event in China will benefit from:
- 2 days of professional development around your team’s solution through a co-creation approach with other young agripreneurs/innovators and experienced experts from around the world. All expenses related to participation in Hacking For Good and pitch events in China will be covered, including travel expenses: return flight and/or train; local transport costs (taxi/bus/metro); accommodation and meals; applicable visa application fees for international participants.
- Access to open datasets from FAO and other partners, such as the FAO Hand-in-Hand Geospatial Platform, FAO Digital Services Portfolio, Data Lab for Innovation statistics and Earthmap, a tool based on Google Earth Engine, etc.
- Advice from experienced experts from the UN, international organizations, the private sector and academia, and the opportunity to engage with high-level representatives from leading companies and organizations.
- The opportunity to meet the best angel investors from venture capital funds and business leaders from the agri-food sector likely to invest in your solutions.
- The chance to build your global network in digital agriculture with a multitude of stakeholders.
- The top winning teams will receive seed funding.
- Become an alumnus of the Global AgriInno Challenge.
- Open to young people who develop and deploy digital innovation products and services that can accelerate the implementation of Four Betters and the transformation of agrifood systems.
- English and Chinese are the two working languages of the Global AgriInno Challenge 2022. However, all proposals and presentations will be in English.
- The team has registered as a company or legal person;
- Have less than 1 million USD in turnover;
- Have less than 5 years of operations;
- Have an innovative, technology-based solution or business model with a Technology Readiness Level (TRL) between 7 and 9 (provide evidence that the project has passed the MVP stage);
- Commit to continued engagement for the duration of the program;
- At least one group leader must be under the age of 35 (teams with female agripreneurs are strongly encouraged).
The team leader must submit the application form; the presentation of the innovation solution (in PPT format); and a video for [email protected] and copy [email protected] before November 17, 2022 (24:00 CEST).
Documentation to be submitted should include (in English):
- Application form
- Innovation Solution (PowerPoint of up to 12 slides, up to 250 words per slide, Microsoft YaHei font, font size at least 16)
- Solution Summary (up to 250 words)
- Identification of problems (analysis of issues related to the transformation of the agri-food system)
- Top four categories (identify which of the top four do you apply your digital solutions to?)
- Mission, vision, values of the project (the type of agricultural activity/sub-sector targeted)
- Technical model (how to meet the challenges related to digital agriculture and the agri-food system?)
- Timing justification (why is this time the best time?)
- Analysis of the situation (who is your main competitor and why is your solution better or more innovative than the others?)
- Business plan (target group, description of results and related activities, adoption strategy, applied methods, partners, sustainability and gender mainstreaming)
- Financial situation (capital raised, capital needed, income analysis)
- Phased development planning (what is your solution’s potential contribution in three years? how do you plan to get there? what are the milestones?)
- 1 to 2 minute video explaining:
- How will your idea or solution contribute to the four best and help vulnerable and rural populations? Answer this question in a 1-2 minute video. Upload the online video to a video sharing platform (YouTube, Google Cloud, Youku, Baidu Cloud or others) and share the link address.
For more information, visit AgriInno Global Challenge.