After students finish their homework for the holidays, Long Beach will offer them activities, such as winter camps, teen programs and nature-themed workshops next month.
The programs, which are offered by the city’s Parks, Recreation and Marine Department, will adhere to lower staff-to-camper ratios and other enhanced safety protocols to try to protect participants from the coronavirus. Registration for all of the programs listed below opens on December 1.
Winter day camps for children ages 5-12 will be held 9am-5pm weekdays December 21-31 (closed December 25, Christmas Day). Campers will be able to enjoy fun new games that follow COVID-19 safety guidelines.
The camps will take place in the following parks:
West Long Beach area
- Admiral Kidd Park, 2125 Santa Fe Ave.
- Silverado Park, 1545 W. 31st St.
North Long Beach area
- Houghton Park, 6301 Myrtle Ave.
- Coolidge Park, 352 E. Neece St.
- Pan Am Park, 5157 E. Centralia St.
- Ramona Park, 3301 E. 65th St.
- Scherer Park, 4600 Long Beach Blvd.
- Somerset Park, 1500 E. Carson St.
- Veterans Park, 101 E. 28th St.
- Cesar E. Chavez Park, 401 Golden Ave.
- Drake Park, 951 Maine Ave.
- Bixby Park, 130 Cherry Ave.
- Seaside Park, 14th Street at Chestnut Avenue
Long Beach Central Area
- MacArthur Park, 1321 E. Anaheim St.
- Martin Luther King Jr. Park, 1950 Lemon Ave.
- McBride Park, 1550 Martin Luther King Jr Ave.
- Orizaba Park, 1435 Orizaba Ave.
East Long Beach area
- Stearns Champions Park 4520 E. 23rd St.
- College Estates Park, 808 Stevely Ave.
- El Dorado Park West, 2800 N. Studebaker Rd.
- Whaley Park, 5620 E. Atherton St.
- Wardlow Park, 3457 Stanbridge Ave.
People can register online starting at 10 a.m. Registration fees are $30 per week; financial assistance is available on a first-come, first-served basis. For more information, call 562-570-3150.
In-person registration is available between 8 a.m. and noon at the following locations:
- Belmont Plaza Pool, 4320 E. Olympic Plaza
- Pan Am Park, 5157 E. Centralia St.
- Parks, Recreation and Sea Administration Office, 2760 N. Studebaker Rd.
- King Park Pool, 1910 Lemon Ave.
Those wishing to register in person after December 1 should call 562-570-3150 to schedule an appointment.
Teens can participate in free activities during the winter holidays from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. on weekdays from December 21 to December 31 (closed on December 25, Christmas Day).
Activities will be offered at:
- Admiral Kidd Park, 2125 Santa Fe Ave, 562-570-1600
- Cesar E. Chavez Park, 401 Golden Avenue, 562-570-3100
- Freeman Community Center, 1205 Freeman Avenue, 562-570-8688
- Houghton Park, 6301 Myrtle Ave, 562-570-1640
- McBride Park, 1550 Martin Luther King Jr. Ave., 562-570-1605
- Silverado Park, 1545 W. 31st St., 562-570-1675
To participate, teens must ask parents to sign waiver forms on the site when they first visit. Advance registration is not required. Call the park for more information.
El Dorado Nature Center Winter Vacation Workshops
Children ages 5-8 can participate in nature-themed workshops during winter break at the El Dorado Nature Center (7550 E. Spring St.). From December 29 to 31. Each session costs $20 and pre-registration is required. Children must have kindergarten experience. Those interested can register online or in person beginning at 10 a.m. at the El Dorado Nature Center Museum (7550 E. Spring St.) The workshop schedule includes:
- December 22, Batty for Bats
- December 23, may I dig your den
- December 24, Winter Fun
- December 29, Wildlife Workbench
- December 30, By Moonlight
- December 31, Tasty Tree-ts!
For more information on winter vacation programs and other youth activities, people can visit longbeach.gov/parks or call 562-570-3150.