Application deadline: August 12, 2022
The Islamic Development Bank (IDB) and the International Labor Organization (ILO) invite youth-led organisations, networks or coalitions to come up with new and innovative ideas and solutions to support a just transition towards economies and societies environmentally sustainable for all.
The Islamic Development Bank (IDB) and the International Labor Organization (ILO) recognize the leadership that young people have shown in the fight against climate change and their key role in driving climate innovation, especially in the context of the jobs crisis induced by COVID-19. To help young people translate more of their activism, commitment and creativity into action, the two organizations have designed the “Youth Green Skills Accelerator Challenge Call”with the overriding objective of promoting youth participation and skills for green jobs for a just transition.
All youth-led organisations, networks or coalitions with contractual and registered capacity that have been in existence for at least two calendar years prior to the call deadline. The candidate must be registered in the common member states of the IDB and the ILO.
By organizations, networks or coalitions, we mean government agencies, employers’ and workers’ organizations, cooperatives, education and training institutions (including schools, training providers and universities), NGOs and civil society organizations, as well as other educational and research institutions.
Prices and benefits
Up to 10 finalists will receive one-week mentoring and training to improve their projects. After the period, 3 winners will be selected during the online pitch event and will receive the following support:
- Financial aid
The top three ideas will receive $50,000; $30,000; and $20,000 respectively, to implement the proposed solution.
- Technical support via an online Innovation Lab
Participation in the Innovation Lab: Through boot camps and remote mentoring, winning proposals will receive technical support to transform, refine, develop and pilot their ideas. The duration of the laboratory is between three and six months, depending on the stage of development of the solution.
- Global visibility
Winning proposals will receive support to publicize their ideas and solutions, including an invitation to attend COP 27, where they will showcase their projects; press articles in the media, videos, among others.
- Access to a network of skills innovators
Winners and shortlisted entries will join the ILO Skills Innovation Network. They will be informed of the latest advances in innovation and skills development and will have access to tools, resources and knowledge sharing events that they can use to create new ideas and solutions.
Based on the infrastructure and experience of The ILO Skills Innovation Fund, the Youth Green Skills Accelerator Challenge call, seeks solutions that contribute to one or more of the following scopes:
- Improve or retrain young people for their effective participation in the processes of developing green policies for a just transition;
- To assure peer-to-peer learning on just transitions and strengthen youth coalitions on the subject;
- Create or improve training programs provide young people with the technical and human skills necessary for the green transition in a given sector / for a given profession;
- General climate change in existing technical and vocational education and training (TVET) and in education programs and programs for young people;
- To improve access to green skills acquisition opportunities and recognition of marginalized youth;
- Support green skills trainers and train providers to become agents of a just transition for young people; and
- Translate job creation, entrepreneurship or business ideas into solutions that accelerate youth upskilling or retraining for a just transition in communities.
- May 26, 2022 – Initiation of the call
- August 12, 2022 – Deadline for submission of ideas
- September 15, 2022 – Announcement of up to 10 finalists
- October 20 – November 3, 2022 – Mentoring and training sessions for finalists
- November 7, 2022 – Final pitch event (online)
- November 18, 2022 – Announcement of the 3 winners at COP 27
- January 2023 – Launch of the Skills Innovation Lab
- June 2023 – End of the Skills Innovation Lab
How to register
- Review the eligibility criteria for participation in the call, the selection criteria for assessments and the terms and conditions applicable to ILO implementing agreements specified in these guidelines for participants.
- Complete the application form (English) (Arabic) and submit it no later than August 12, 2022 (midnight Geneva time).
Before preparing the application form, please review the List of Application Questions (English) (Arabic). We recommend that you first prepare your application information and responses using this list, as the online application form does not allow you to save an application before submitting it. Please also prepare a budget estimate using the budget template (English) (Arabic) and submit it on the application form.
For more information:
Visit the Official Webpage of the IDB-ILO Youth Green Skills Acceleration Challenge 2022