A vet has been struck off the registry after a series of shady acts, including an extraordinary drug-fueled weekend.
A vet has been struck off the registry after admitting to injecting two friends with a horse tranquilizer during a watered and medicated weekend south of Perth.
Catherine McGuigan has long worked at the Murray Veterinary Services in Coolup, but in a recent state administrative court ruling she was found guilty of unprofessional conduct.
The SAT said McGuigan had started socializing with a couple who used his services and “every now and then (they) would take trips together where they used illicit drugs, including ecstasy and cocaine in recreational purposes “.
Over a weekend in October last year, the trio stayed in an apartment in Wannanup and were drinking and using cocaine when McGuigan grabbed a 100ml bottle of ketamine in his car.
She then asked her friend how much she weighed “so that she can check the internet for the correct dose of ketamine to give”.
McGuigan also gave ketamine to her friend and for herself.
“While legally practicing her profession as a veterinarian, the respondent was permitted to possess ketamine but was not permitted to administer or use ketamine on humans,” the SAT said.
McGuigan told the couple she could lose her job for giving them the drug and made them promise to keep it a secret.
About a month later, McGuigan gave the same woman diazepam to help her sleep.
“The respondent was required (…) to make a clinical record of her supply, but she did not do so,” said the SAT.
At the end of last year, McGuigan bought himself Airway Gel, a bronchodilator for horses that also contains clenbuterol hydrochloride.
“The respondent abused or inappropriately used the authority granted to her (…) as a licensed veterinarian,” said the SAT.
“As a veterinarian, she was only allowed to administer, supply or use ketamine, diazepam and clenbuterol hydrochloride for the treatment of an animal.”
The court added that McGuigan’s actions “would reasonably be viewed as disgraceful or dishonorable by reputable and competent licensed veterinarians.”
But they accepted that McGuigan had remorse and had accepted responsibility for his actions.
She was fined $ 1,000, plus $ 3,000 in costs, and was removed from the Washington State Veterinary Register.