Staff of a Senate committee tasked with investigating the handling of the coronavirus pandemic in Brazil said on Sunday that the Copa America football tournament is not expected to take place amid the world’s second deadliest outbreak and must be postponed. Brazil was unexpectedly named host to the South American 10 Nations Championship last week after joint host Colombia withdrew amid ongoing civil unrest and Argentina withdrew due to ” an increase in COVID-19 cases.
Far-right President Jair Bolsonaro announced on Monday that Brazil will host all 28 games between June 13 and July 10. More than 472,000 people have died from the virus in Brazil, more than anywhere else outside the United States. In a letter to the national football team, Senate committee staff said Brazil had only vaccinated 10.77% of the population until Friday with the first doses.
“Brazil does not offer health security for the holding of an international tournament of this magnitude. In addition to conveying a false sense of security and normality, contrary to the reality that Brazilians live, it would encourage agglomerations of people. and set a bad example, “he added. It said. “We are not against the Copa America in Brazil or elsewhere. But we think the tournament can wait until the country is ready to host it,” the letter said.
Not hosting or participating in the tournament in Brazil would be a gesture of respect for the lives of millions of families mourning deceased members, he said. The letter comes two days after Brazil team captain Casemiro said the team would make a statement on Tuesday on whether or not they want to compete in the Copa America.
Brazilian media have said the players do not want to take part in a hastily organized tournament set to start in a week as they are busy playing to qualify for the World Cup next year. Brazil have won all five of their qualifiers so far and lead the South American group of 10 for Qatar 2022.
(This story was not edited by Devdiscourse staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)