Deadline: September 4, 2022
The call for applications for coordinators and resource persons for the 6th African Youth Forum on World Heritage is now open. The African World Heritage Fund (AWHF) was established in 2006 to support the effective conservation and protection of cultural and natural heritage of Outstanding Universal Value in Africa.
The main objective of the AWHF is to address the challenges faced by African States Parties in the implementation of the 1972 Convention, in particular the under-representation of African sites on the World Heritage List and the conservation and insufficient management of these sites.
May 5 marks African World Heritage Day, an international day proclaimed by UNESCO Member States in November 2015 to celebrate the outstanding cultural and natural heritage of the African continent. Since 2016, in preparation for African World Heritage Day, young people (i.e. people between the ages of 18 and 35) from across the African continent have come together in the African World Heritage Youth Forum to discuss and debate their involvement in the conservation, management and promotion of World Heritage. The African Youth Forum on World Heritage targets motivated, active and motivated young Africans who are interested in engaging in a World Heritage network and willing to implement the outcomes of the Youth Forum in their home countries.
Planning and implementation within the framework of Youth.Heritage.Africa, the Coordinator will:
- Become familiar with all related documentation.
- Assist the coordination team in developing the draft training program for the Forum.
- Serve as a resource person at the African World Heritage Youth Forum.
- Prepare educational materials and make presentations during the Forum.
- Contribute to discussions and help participants with practical exercises relating to their World Heritage activities.
- Assess and contribute to the development of an action plan for the completion of the country’s candidacy project;
- Write a report on its participation in the African Youth Forum on World Heritage;
- Ensure the proper involvement of coordinators, resource persons and resource assistants in the preparation, implementation and follow-up of the Youth Forum.
- Coordinate the preparation of teaching materials and make presentations at the Youth Forum.
- Assist in the preparation and implementation of the Youth Forum
- Prepare a report on the implementation of the Youth Forum with all supporting documents.
- African citizen between 26 and 35 years old.
- Minimum requirements: certified post-secondary education and/or qualification.
- Fluency in French (working language of the Forum) and ability to communicate in English.
- Available throughout the duration of the Forum.
- Experienced in the field of World Heritage, working on the conservation and promotion of heritage in their regular activities, with other young people.
- Ability to write reports.
- Personal Attributes: Motivated, active and driven individuals willing to learn how to assess the viability, feasibility and desirability of social enterprise ideas while engaging in a World Heritage network of young Africans willing to implement the results of the forum in their country of origin.
- Female applicants are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please submit your CV and a cover letter describing your involvement in heritage and highlighting your previous experience as a resource person or coordinator for youth or heritage activities.
Send your CV and cover letter to [email protected] before September 4, 2022.
For more information, visit AWHF.